What are house dust mites?
- Belongs to the mite family Pyroglyphidae
- They are invisible to the naked eye at 0.1mm to 0.4mm
- 3 species of house dust mites. They are Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus (DP), Dermatophagoides farinae (DF) and Blomia Tropicalis (BT).
How do they cause allergies?
- They produces about 20-30 waste droppings a day
- Their primary food source of dust mites consists of hair and skin scales from humans and animals.
- The eggs, feces and decaying bodies of dust mites are the culprit in dust mite allergy.
Where do they live?
- Next to us as we are their primary food sources!!
- House dust mites are found mostly indoors on fabric of carpets, curtains and mattresses, where the largest collection of hair and skin scales from human resides
- thrive in humid and warm climate such as Singapore
Why you can never finish killing them ?
- They simply reproduce too quickly!
- House dust mites only take one month to reach adulthood
- Within 1-2 months, they would have fully replaced the whole population